Monday, October 15, 2007

Update to my previous post: Schiphol!

In my previous post, I had mentioned the flies painted on the urinals at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport.

Well, I was at Schiphol earlier today and decided to check it out first hand. (Two for best aim, actually, but let's not go into that.) So here's a first-person photo:

Cue 'fly' jokes


So there I was, peacefully minding my own business taking this photo... when I heard a cough behind me.

I turned around, and there stood a Dutch policeman, looking at me rather quizzically.

"Sir, what are you doing?" he asked.

My brain whirred into action and I replied with the entirely truthful, "I was taking a picture of the urinal."

He looked at me. I looked at him. He looked at me. I looked at him.

It struck me that "I was taking a picture of the urinal" is not the most convincing or elaborate of answers to give Amsterdam's finest.

I decided to elucidate. "You see, I've heard a lot about how Schiphol's urinals are unique because they have flies painted on them. Quite interesting, actually, so I thought I'd take a photo just as a memory."

He looked at me. I looked at him.

And then he broke into a smile. "Ah, that's nice!" he said. "There is a lot more to Amsterdam though!"

I smiled sheepishly, zipped up (the camera case, I mean) and headed out into the bright, inviting sounds and sights of Schiphol Airport.

7 comments:

cube said...

Thanks for bringing up the hidden dangers of blogging!

Anonymous said...

Do men ever get over the one thing they always think and talk about and for? Sigh. Get over it bro!:) - Nandu

Anonymous said...

LOL! Trust you to actually go and take a pic of that! AC......missing you man :)
- Lizzy

Anonymous said...

Hey Arvind,

awesome awesome blog!!I've been reading it almost the whole day @ office! Looks like work's treating u well too! :)

Keep blogging!

Cheers,
Sangeetha
W-23, Karama shopping complex :P

AC said...

@cube: Ah yes, the lengths we bloggers go to in search of a post! :)

@Nandu: What do you think is the one thing we think about? Which, by the way, is not an accurate picture of us. In fact, at this very moment, I am thinking of at least three distinct things, connected only by the fact that they all have to do with bodily functions.

AC said...

@Lizzy: Anything for my readers ;) Miss you too :)

@Sangeetha: Hey hey hey! Good to see you here :)

Sid said...

Gosh... that was one enlightening thing to know :D